DHBO Energy Boost with Beta Alanine, Caffeine and Taurine delivers a physical and mental boost. Beta alanine, caffeine and nicotinamide have been shown by independent scientific trials to increase energy expenditure and endurance performance. Scientific studies have shown that caffeine in combinations with taurine improves reaction time, alertness and attention.
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has officially approved this health claim related to DHBO's Energy Boost:
Niacin (nicotinamide) contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism and to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
DHBO’s Energy Boost contains Niacin, which carries an EFSA endorsed health claim relating to its contribution to energy-yielding metabolism. High dosages of niacin cause cutaneous flushing, especially of the face and neck within 20 minutes of consumption, which persists for 30 to 60 minutes (Jaconnello, 1992).
Alongside EFSA supported ingredients, Energy Boost contains a group of ingredients that have been implicated through scientifically-designed clinical trials to provide increased energy. Beta-alanine increases the working capacity of muscle. It increases muscle strength and improves muscle endurance (van Thienen et al., 2009; Smith et al., 2009; Hoffman et al., 2006).
Taurine is a conditionally essential amino acid. It has been linked, when consumed with caffeine, to support minor improvements in mental performance. Moderate doses of taurine in combination with caffeine improved attention and verbal reasoning (Warburton et al., 2001).
It has been long recognized that caffeine enhances energy expenditure and elevates body temperature (thermogenesis) in a broad cross section of body types and age groups (Dulloo et al., 1989; Arciero et al., 1995). Energy drinks containing caffeine, taurine and niacin have been shown to improve endurance performance in trained cyclists (Ivy et al., 2009), a dose independent effect that has been found with capsules containing caffeine alone (Pasman et al., 1995). The latter effect has been attributed to caffeine-induced stimulation of higher rates of fat oxidation (Costill et al., 1978). Caffeine also improves reaction time and alertness and reduces mental fatigue (Haskell et al., 2005).
- Arciero et al., 1995. Am. J. Physiol. 268, 1192-1198. Effects of caffeine ingestion on NE kinetics, fat oxidation, and energy expenditure in younger and older men.
- Costill et al., 1978. Med. Sci. Sports 10,155-158. Effects of caffeine ingestion on metabolism and exercise performance.
- Dulloo et al., 1989. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 49, 44-50. Normal caffeine consumption: Influence on thermogenesis and daily energy expenditure in lean and post-obese human volunteers.
- Haskell et al., 2005. Psychopharmacology 179, 813-825. Cognitive and mood improvements of caffeine in habitual consumers and habitual non-consumers of caffeine
- Hoffman et al., 2006. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exer. Metab., 16, 430-446. The effect of creatine and β-alanine supplementation on performance and endocrine responses in strength/power athletes.
- Ivy et al., 2009. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exer. Metab., 19, 61-78. Improved cycling time-trial performance after ingestion of a caffeine energy drink.
- Jaconnello, 1992. Can. Med. Assoc. J., 147, 990. Niacin versus niacinamide.
- Pasman et al., 1995. Int. J. Sports Med., 16, 225-230. The effect of different dosages of caffeine on endurance performance time.
- Smith et al., 2009. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 105, 357-363. The effects of beta-alanine supplementation and high intensity interval training on endurance performance and body composition in men.
- van Thienen et al., 2009. Med. Sci. Sports Exercise, 41, 898-903. Beta-alanine improves sprint performance in endurance cycling.
- Warburton et al., 2001. Psychopharmacol., 158, 322-328. An evaluation of a caffeinated taurine drink on mood, memory and information processing in healthy volunteers without caffeine abstinence.
Ingredients: beta alanine, taurine, caffeine anhydrous, capsule shell: gelatin, colourant: black iron oxide; nicotinamide, anticaking agent: magnesium stearate
2.26 kJ, 0.54 kcal
of which sugars
of which saturates
300 mg (**)
250 mg (**)
200 mg (**)
20 mg (125 %)
*% Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA)
**no RDA available
Instructions: Take 2 capsules per day with water + Keep in dry, cool place away from sunlight + This product is no substitute for a varied balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle + Not recommended for children or pregnant or breast-feeding women + Keep out of reach of children
Food supplement, Made in Belgium
Distributed by: DHBO BV, Lichtenauerlaan 102, 3062 ME Rotterdam, The Netherlands