DHBO's proprietary Immune formula with Wellmune WGP® consists of scientifically proven ingredients that support the normal function of the immune system. The formulation ensures that the immune system is primed and ready to function particularly during times of immune stress and challenge.
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has officially approved these health claims related to DHBO's Immune Formula:
1. Vitamin C contributes to maintain the normal function of the immune system during and after intense physical exercise; contributes to the normal function of the immune system
2. Selenium contributes to the normal function of the immune system
3. Zinc contributes to the normal function of the immune system
4. Copper contributes to the normal function of the immune system
5. Folate contributes to the normal function of the immune system
6. Iron contributes to the normal function of the immune system
7. Vitamin A contributes to the normal function of the immune system
8. Vitamin B12 contributes to the normal function of the immune system
9. Vitamin B6 contributes to the normal function of the immune system
10. Vitamin D contributes to the normal function of the immune system
DHBO’s Immune Boost has been carefully formulated to maximize the benefit of the EFSA endorsed ingredients, Selenium, Zinc, Copper, Folate, Iron, Vitamin A, C, B6, D and B12, which have been proven to contribute to maintaining a healthy immune system. Significant peer-reviewed scientific research has established the importance of these ingredients. For example, Selenium is a potent nutritional antioxidant and effects its biological activity through its incorporation into selenoproteins. Selenoproteins play a role in the regulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and redox status in nearly all tissues. Selenium has been implicated in boosting the immune system during aging and through provision of protection against pathogens (Hoffmann and Berry, 2008).
Alongside the EFSA endorsed ingredients, DHBO has included additional factors that have been shown through clinical trials to benefit the immune system.
Three major products of sulfur amino acids, glutathione, homocysteine and taurine influence inflammatory aspects of the immune response. Taurine and glutathione reduce inflammation, whereas homocysteine has the opposite effect. Methionine intake can transiently raise plasma glutathione, taurine and homocysteine (Grimble, 2006). Increases in plasma glutathione have been shown to increase numbers of T helper cells carrying CD4 and CD8 glycoproteins. CD4 and CD8 are critical to the proper functioning of the immune system. For example, in placebo controlled studies with AIDS patients, long term supplementation with methionine decreased the decline in CD4 counts (van Brummelen & Du Toit, 2007).
Beta-glucans are polysaccharides of D-glucose monomers linked by β-glycosidic bonds. They occur in the cellulose of plants, the bran of cereal grains, the cell wall of yeast, certain fungi and bacteria. Consumption of beta-glucans has been linked to a number of health benefits including reduction of blood cholesterol and activation of the immune system. Beta glucans bind to specific receptors on the surface of innate immune cells leading to activation of the immune system (Brown & Gordon, 2001). The efficacy of intravenous treatment with a soluble beta glucan from yeast has been demonstrated in trauma patients with very positive outcomes, including a significant reduction in mortality and septic morbidity in the treated group (Browder et al., 1990). Soluble yeast glucans have also proven benefits as dietary supplements. Feldman et al., (2009) administered the widely studied, branded glucan, Wellmune WGP® in a 12 week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel-group trial. None of the subjects in the treated arm (500mg/d Wellmune WGP®) missed work or school due to colds, whereas subjects with colds in the placebo group (500 mg rice flour) missed on average 1.38 days. The Wellmune WGP® group had a lower average fever score than the placebo group. The study suggests that Wellmune reduced some risks associated with upper respiratory tract infections (URTI). In a separate study involving 75 marathon runners, those participants receiving 250 or 500mg/d Wellmune WGP® reported significantly fewer post-marathon URTI infections after 2 and 4 weeks of treatment compared to placebo (Talbott & Talbott, 2009). Similarly, McFarlin et al. (2013) found a 37% reduction in the number of cold/flu symptom days post-marathon in the treatment group compared to placebo. The same group found that beta glucan treatment correlated with a 32% increase in salivary IgA after exercise compared to placebo, indicating stimulation of the mucosal immune system. In a 4 week randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of moderate ragweed allergy sufferers, the treated group, receiving 250 mg/d of Wellmune WGP® were found to have reduced total allergy symptoms (28%), symptom severity (52%) and symptom rating on a visual analog scale (37%) (Talbott et al., 2013).
- Browder et al., 1990. Annals of Surgery, 211, 605-612. Beneficial effect of enhanced macrophage function in the trauma patient.
- Brown & Gordon, 2001. Nature 413, 36-37. Immune recognition: A new receptor for β-glucans.
van Brummelen & Du Toit, 2007. Amino Acids 33, 157-163. L-Methionine as immune supportive supplement: a clinical evaluation.
- Feldman et al., 2009. J. Appl. Res., 9, 30-42. Randomized Phase II clinical trials of Wellmune WGP® for immune support during cold and flu season.
- Grimble, 2006. J. Nutr. 136, 1660S-1665S. The effects of sulfur amino acid intake on immune function in humans.
Hoffmann and Berry, 2008. Molecular Nutr. Food Res., 52, 1273-1280. The influence of selenium on immune responses.
- McFarlin et al., 2013. J. Diet. Suppl. 10, 171-183. Baker’s yeast beta glucan supplementation increases salivary IgA and decreases cold/flu symptomatic days after exercise.
- Talbott & Talbott, 2009. J. Sports Sci. Med., 8, 509-515. Effect of beta 1,3/1,6 glucan upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and mood state in marathon athletes.
- Talbott et al., 2012. Food Sci. Nutr., 1, 90-101. Beta-glucan supplementation, allergy symptoms and quality of life in self-described ragweed allergy sufferers.
Ingredients: Wellmune WGP®, Capsule shell: Gelatin, Colourant: Titanium dioxide, Yellow Iron Oxide; Vitamin C, Zinc Bisglycinate, L-Methionine, Iron Fumerate, Selenomethionine, Anticaking agent: Magnesium stearate; Copper Bisglycinate, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Folic acid
7.80 kJ, 1.86 kcal
of which sugars
of which saturated fatty acids
250 mg (**)
80 mg (100 %)
10 mg (100 %)
45 mg (**)
14 mg (100 %)
110 mcg (200 %)
1 mg (100 %)
800 mcg-RE (100 %)
2.8 mg (200 %)
2.5 mcg (100 %)
7.5 mcg (150 %)
400 mcg (200 %)
*% Recommended Daily Allowance
**no recommendation available
Instructions: Take 1 capsule per day with water + Keep in dry, cool place away from sunlight + This product is no substitute for a varied balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle + Not recommended for children or pregnant or breast-feeding women + Keep out of reach of children
Food Supplement, Made in Belgium
Distributed by: DHBO BV, Lichtenauerlaan 102, 3062 ME Rotterdam, The Netherlands